- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb unpeeled eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup cooked white beans (or drained, rinsed canned)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs or panko (use gf crumbs for gluten free)
- pinch red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 cups quick marinara sauce
- 4 medium zucchini’s, “zoodled”
Heat the oven to 375°. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Place 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When hot add the eggplant and 1/4 cup water. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the skillet with the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add to the food processor along with the drained beans and parsley and pulse until well combined and chopped, but not pureed.
Combine the mixture with the breadcrumbs and red chili flakes if using. Taste for salt then roll into 12 meatballs, about 2-inches in diameter. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm and browned, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, warm the marinara sauce and serve with the meatballs over pasta, or like I did with zucchini noodles. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese!